Hiawassee, Ga. – The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) reported 35 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Towns County with 10 cases requiring hospitalization. This information comes from the DPH Wednesday, June 15, 3:00 p.m. update.
One death is also confirmed in the county.
There has been confusion in counties as to how many residents or visitors have tested positive for the virus. The state reporting is not attributing all cases to place of residence as previously reported, and some cases are ending up being reported to the county where the person had testing done.
Union General Hospital (UGH) released a statement on April 1, that the hospital was treating a Covid-19 positive case with inpatient care. The hospital also confirmed that the patient had come from Towns County.
A day after UGH’s announcement, DPH released that Union County had one positive case. This led many to believe that the case was that of the Towns County resident who had been transported to UGH.
Currently, there is no way of confirming the origins of the positive cases due to HIPAA rules protecting an individual’s medical history.
Union County is currently reporting 36 positive cases. At this time, Fetch Your News has no additional information about these cases. We will bring you details as they become available to the public.
The total cases in Georgia as of the May 13, 7:00 p.m. update is now: total number of confirmed cases 35,427 with 6,308 hospitalized (1,511 requiring ICU admission), and 1,517 deaths. 273,904 tests have been administered in Georgia.
Timeline of Confirmed Cases in Towns County:
- First Case – April 3, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Second Case – April 7, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Third Case – April 10, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Fourth, Fifth and Sixth cases – April 14, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Seventh and Eighth cases – April 14, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Ninth and Tenth cases – April 16, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Eleventh and Twelfth cases – April 18, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Thirteenth case – April 19, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Fourteenth and Fifteenth cases – April 20, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Sixteenth, Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth cases – April 22, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Twentieth case – April 24, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- First death – April 28, 12:00 p.m. DPH update
- Twenty-first case – April 28, 6:00 p.m. DPH update
- Twenty-second case – May 1, 6:25 p.m. DPH update
- One case rescinded bringing total cases back down to 21 – May 2, 6:25 p.m. DPH update
- One case rescinded bringing total cases down to 20 – May 3, 10:25 a.m. DPH update
- One case rescinded bringing total cases down to 19 – May 4, 3:25 p.m. DPH update
- Twentieth case – May 5, 6:25 p.m. DPH update
- Twenty-first case – May 13, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Twenty-second case – May 26, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
- Twenty-third case – May 27, 7:00 p.m. DPH update
*Fetch Your News has chosen to report on cases confirmed by the Georgia Department of Health (DPH) only. These reports may not reflect real-time spread as the laboratories processing COVID-19 tests are reportedly backlogged by several days. Fetch Your News is also reaching out to local sources to confirm positive cases before writing articles on the subject.
Original story below:
Hiawassee, Ga. – The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) confirmed the first case of Covid-19 in Towns County in their Friday, April 3, 12:00 p.m. update.
This news was expected as Union General Hospital released a statement on April 1, that the hospital was treating a Covid-19 positive case with inpatient care. The hospital also confirmed that the patient had come from Towns County.
While there had been several suspected cases in Towns County, all testing until today had come back with negative results. As of yesterday, Towns County was one of only 16 counties reporting zero cases of Covid-19.
Now there remains only 12 of Georgia’s 159 counties that are reporting zero cases.
Georgia’s total number of cases confirmed by DPH as of 12:00 p.m. on April 3 has risen to 5,831. Of these cases, 1158 remain hospitalized. DPH is reporting 184 deaths have occurred due to Covid-19 in the State of Georgia.
At this time, Fetch Your News has no additional information about this case. We will bring you details as they become available to the public.
DPH updates the Covid-19 Georgia State Statistics at 12:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. daily.
Georgia Coronavirus Origin : The State of Georgia had its first confirmed cases of Coronavirus announced by state officials on March 2. These cases were of a Fulton man in his 50’s that had recently returned from a work trip in Milan, and his 15-year-old son. Fulton County remains the county with the highest number of confirmed cases, 882.