Motorcyclist severely injured in Hiawassee crash

News
Towns County

HIAWASSEE, Ga.- A motorcyclist suffered severe injuries following a collision in front of Papa’s Pizza on State Route 76, west of Hiawassee, as an employee was leaving the restaurant’s parking lot. Towns County first responders were dispatched to the site of the accident at 3:15 pm, Tuesday, Aug. 13.

The two vehicle accident caused life-threatening injuries to the motorcyclist, including extensive trauma to the lower extremities. The victim, a male in his mid-to-late 50s, was flown to Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, GA, for emergency surgery. Traffic on State Route 76 was temporarily stalled in order to create a landing zone for the medical helicopter.

FYN reported on the danger surrounding the area where the accident occurred in April 2018. Towns County Commissioner Cliff Bradshaw contacted the Department of Transportation, insisting on a center-turning lane on State Route 76, to no avail due to logistics. Bradshaw told FYN in recent days that he plans to again address the issue in the near future while visiting the state capitol.

“We want a center-turning lane. It’s very dangerous leaving Hiawassee, going in that direction,” Bradshaw told FYN last spring. “If you want to take a left-hand turn to get into Papa’s Pizza, or several other places, you’re constantly looking in your rear-view mirror, afraid you’re going to get hit. It’s very dangerous…I said you’re going to have to stay on top of this. The community is demanding this. I will not let it die. I’m going to stay on top of it.”

Author

Robin H. Webb

Robin can be reached by dialing 706-487-9027 or contacted via email at Robin@FetchYourNews.com --- News tips will be held in strict confidence upon request.

6 Comments

1. Tracie August 13, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Yes! I put my blinker on a half a mile away so people can change lanes. It’s very scary. Maybe start a petition, if that sort of thing works. Change the speed limit and hand out speeding tickets. We know how hard it is to stop when your doing 60 and the guy in front of you decides he wants pizza. What’s a life worth? I appreciate the commissioner not giving up. And I really hope all involved in the accident will be ok. FYN, please let us know as soon as you find out how the man on the bike is. Thanks

2. Debbie moore August 13, 2019 at 7:25 pm

We have very similar similarities at Catalyst Church And Asionos Japanese cuisine. Several very close calls.

3. gene henson August 14, 2019 at 2:31 am

I drive past and turn left at a safer spot, usually at the Sand Bar, cutting back east on 76 so I have a right turn into Papa’s Pizza. Knowing the traffic flow and taking a little more thought to keeping it safe. On a busy day, I never make a left turn on 76 without a turn lane location.

Think it is bad now, wait until the multi-lane comes through Young Harris from Blairsville. That will be a deathly improvement, just like this section of multi-lane has been.

4. J B August 14, 2019 at 10:55 am

Several people should SUE the state for design flaws to this part of state hwy. 76.

5. Bill Daves August 14, 2019 at 11:07 am

The speed limit and the speed at which motorists travel on this entire stretch is out of control, and another member of our community has lost his life. This latest incident was, is, and will be impacting the lives of at least two families here. Tragic, just absolutely tragic, and likely preventable. I am not sharing just my opinion in this comment, but am sharing what I experienced at this scene on that day.

Time. For. Change.

Bill Daves

6. Karen August 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm

They need a turn lane all the way down Hwy 76 from fair grounds to Hwy 17 ( Hayesville turnoff
    at cornerstone ) where there are business or roads. I can not tell u the # of times we have had to gun it waiting to turn into Asiano’s and Papa’s pizza to stop from being hit . Praying for the people involved.

FetchYourNews.com - Dedicated to serve the needs of the community. Provide a source of real news-Dependable Information-Central to the growth and success of our Communities. Strive to encourage, uplift, warn, entertain, & enlighten our readers/viewers- Honest-Reliable-Informative.

News - Videos - TV - Marketing - Website Design - Commercial Production - Consultation

Search

FetchYourNews.com - Citizen Journalists - A place to share “Your” work. Send us “Your” information or tips - 706.276.NEWs (6397) 706.889.9700 chief@FetchYourNews.com